Monday, September 28, 2009

Out of options.

Well. I just got some shocking news. I am being replaced at my office.

Let me tell you why I am shocked.
For 3 1/2 years I have been working Mon-Fri 10-5. This allowed me extra time with Tink in the mornings. Over the summer I talked to my boss and my office manager and discussed changing my hours to 8-2 Mon-Thurs and 8-5 on Fri once Tink started school. I was told this would be great. They said they are busier in the mornings than the late afternoon and this would be the perfect solution.

School started, I told my Mom I didn't need her to sit for Tink any day other than Fri and she made other plans for her time. I changed my hours and enrolled Tink in soccer and dance class.

Now I am told the new hours aren't working out for my office. They are so busy that they can't manage without someone in the afternoons. If I can't make other plans for Tink in the afternoons and work all day every day I am going to be replaced with someone who can work full time.

At this point I have no other options for Tink and I am looking for a new JOB.

4 comments:

Cammie said...

That sucks. Im sorry.

Toad's Lair said...

Good luck, sweetie!

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh ... I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's just awful. However, what I don't understand is this: it doesn't sound as if that much time has gone by since the switch in hours. Did they just simply not realize they were busy in the afternoons? Or ... or DID they, and was this their way of perhaps forcing you into a corner, knowing you would have no other options, and they would get their way (presumably) of replacing you with someone full-time - whom, I am betting, will not be making all that much more than you.

Regardless of my conspiracy theories, I'm just really sorry this happened. It is lousy.In my opinion, I think most workplaces talk a nice talk about being flexible and family-friendly and all that, but the reality is simply unworkable crap.

I guess one benefit of this is that you won't have to go on a weekend retreat and share cabins with your coworkers again ...

And finally, from what you have wrote previously, you seem to be good at what you do, and you will find something else. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about this unfortunatly I know exactly how you feel, I had a full-time job and was promised part-time if I just worked one more year, well when push came to shove and the time came I was told "that there were no part-time positions at the company."

It sucks when you bust your butt for someone and they crap on you in return.

Things will get better, you will be able to find something better!!!!